There are good reasons to retrofit your used Accurpress Press Brake in this down market instead of purchasing a new press brake. These are challenging times, and budgets for large ticket items can be tight. However, you can save significantly by retrofitting to the Automec CNC 150 or CNC 300 backgauge control system, both in initial and future expenditures. These modern control systems will increase efficiency and allow you to expand your product line. Moreover, they will increase production in your existing line. This article explains what retrofitting with the CNC 150 Autogauge or CNC 300 Autogauge system buys you, and gives the basics of the retrofit itself.
Advantages of a CNC 150 and CNC 300 to retrofit your used Accurpress Press Brake
Retrofitting your used Accurpress press brake to the latest CNC controls results in efficiency gains and work environment improvement. Furthermore, retrofitting is far cheaper, in both initial outlay and future costs than replacing your machines. One person can program the operation of multiple machines that run simultaneously, saving you labor costs. The improved CNC control will result in improved machining accuracy, fewer defects, and reduced waste. It will also free up your operators to focus on multiple tasks.
Both the CNC 150 and CNC 300 control system provide improved production efficiency, capacity, and scope.
What is the Difference between the CNC 150 and CNC 300?
The CNC 300 is an Automec Backgauge control that you can program like the CNC 150. In addition, the CNC 300 can be programmed to use an array of sophisticated functions. The CNC 300 will control any of the Automec backgauge configurations. This includes either a 1-axis (backgauge), 2-axis (ram control), or 3-axis (programmable gauge bar height). The CNC 300 also includes advanced programming features like Angle Mode with Angle Correction and Teach Mode.
Introducing the Automec CNC 150 Control System
The CNC 150 is an economical, simple-to-use control. It incorporates the most popular features used in Automec’s 30-plus years of experience in the press brake backgauging business. The CNC 150 will control any of the Automec backgauge configurations—either 1-axis (backgauge), 2-axis (Ram Control), or 3-axis (programmable gauge bar height). This control carries a 2-year warranty.
CNC 150 Backgauge Control Features
- Incremental Corrections – Dimensions can be corrected by adding or subtracting incrementally from the current dimension.
- Bend Allowance – All backgauge dimensions can be offset with one data entry up to ± .393.
- Ram Depth Mode – Ram depth is programmable in inches or millimeters from the flat metal calibration point. On most hydraulic press brakes, the top of stroke can be varied from bend to bend. Ram slow down position can be programmed for each job.
- Ram Offset – You can offset the Ram depths with one data entry up to ± .393.
- Backgauge Retract/Delay – You can program the backgauge to retract from the die a specified time and distance, giving the operator time to reposition the workpiece.
- Backgauge Retract on PinchPoint – On 2-axis hydraulic brakes, this feature allows you to program the backgauge to retract once the workpiece has been pinched enough to clear reverse bends. You can program both time and distance of retract separately for each bend.
- Self Diagnostics – Error codes appear for programming mistakes or system malfunction.
Automec’s CNC 150 Upgrade Kit for Used Accurpress Press Brakes with Automec backgauges
Automec provides a CNC 150 Backgauge Control Upgrade Kit. The kit includes CNC 150 Control, Backgauge Cable, All Relay Board, Relay Board Cable, Linear Scale Cable, and Auto Advance Switch. (Learn more about press brake upgrades)
Introducing the Automec CNC 300 Control System
The CNC 300 is another control for Automec backgauges. It can be programmed as simply as the CNC 150, or it can be programmed to use an array of sophisticated functions. The CNC 300 will control any of the Automec backgauge configurations—either a 1-axis (backgauge), 2-axis (ram control), or 3-axis (programmable gauge bar height). This control carries a 2-year warranty.
CNC 300 Backgauge Control Advanced Programming Features
In addition to the features described just above for the CNC 150, the CNC 300 includes the following:
- Angle Mode with Angle Correction – When programming in degrees, the actual angle can vary from the programmed angle. This is due to material thickness variations or springback. Simply program your measured angle, and the CNC 300 will adjust automatically to the correct programmed angle.
- Teach Mode – Simply bring the press brake ram to the correct bending angle for each step of the program. Then press just ONE button to program that position.
CNC 300 Backgauge Control Installation Requirements
- AC Power Requirements – Automec gauging systems require 105 to 125VAC, 60HZ at 7 AMPS on an isolated line. If this power is not available, you should not use a 2.0 KVA step down transformer. Do NOT use a press brake control transformer. Note that supplying this power to the system is the end-user responsibility.
- Floor Anchoring – Some Automec systems require anchoring to the floor. The Automec installer does not perform this task; it is the responsibility of the customer.
Automec’s CNC 300 Upgrade Kit for Used Accurpress Press Brakes with Automec backgauges
Automec provides a CNC 300 Backgauge Control Upgrade Kit. The kit consists of the CNC 300 Control, Backgauge Cable (MTC), Linear Scale Cable, All Relay Board, Relay Board Cable, Top Reference Switch, and Auto Advance Switch. (Learn more about press brake upgrades)
Pricing Estimates to upgrade your used Accurpress press brake
If your used Accurpress press brake is working correctly and if you have all the factory parts, you can save thousands of dollars by getting a press brake retrofit. Often, press brakes can receive single-axis retrofits for less than $10,000. You can expect to pay from $5,000 to 7,000 for each additional axis.
Often the backgauge control is where you have most of your problems. If the mechanical aspects of the backgauge are fine, control-only retrofits are an affordable way to regain the productivity of your malfunctioning press brake.
The new control will be able to communicate with the back gauge, ram, and other system axes. For an extra cost, you can also replace the drives.
You should expect to pay from $10,000 to $30,000 for a PC-based control retrofit. The cost depends on how complex your press brake is, and the way the OEM control and the machine and transducers integrate. Whateer the case, if your existing machine is working properly (mechanically, hydraulically, and electrically), the cost is significantly less than that of purchasing a new press brake.
If Your Used Accurpress Press Brake Already Has an Automec Backgauge System
If you are using a G24, CNC99, CNC1000, or CNC2000 that has a mechanical structure in good working condition, you can upgrade your Automec backgauge control to the CNC 9×9, CNC 150, CNC 300, CNC 600, PC 800 line. Automec will need the serial number of your backgauge to configure the control correctly. Cables, mounting hardware, manual and ram switch will be provided. See the brochures for backgauge control technical specifications. Alse, please know that CNC 99, 1000, 2000, and G24 controls are obsolete and can no longer be serviced if they fail. For more information on pricing and Technical specs, contact us at 781-893-3403, press 1, or email email@example.com.
For information about the CNC 9×9, CNC 600, or PC 800 alternatives, follow those links.
CNC 150 and CNC 300 Brochures
For more information on the CNC 150 Autogauge system, see here. For the CNC 300 Autogauge systems, including see here.
Options for upgrading your Used Accurpress Press Brake to a new modern press brake
Large or Small Servo Electric Press Brakes
You might consider employing Automec’s CoastOne electric press brake line, which will improve efficiency, save energy, and dramatically reduce the noise level of your machine shop. Its direct-drive system has a servo-electric motor and ball screw(s). Each ball screw can producing about 25 tons of force. The use of these ball screws in a direct drive system makes our electric press brakes more affordable than traditional small hydraulic press brakes.
Large or Small Hydraulic Press Brakes with the best warranty in the industry
Another press brake option to consider is the Standard Industrial line, which features the following competitive advantages:
- Full-length bends for jobs with high tonnage across the bed and ram
- A repeatability advantage over dual cylinder brakes that require complicated hydraulic systems to balance their tonnage
- Less labor and parts over the life of the machine than competitor dual cylinder press brakes
- Off-center loading when you need substantial force near the ends of the brake
- Center loading when you need any amount of tonnage for the center or anywhere across the bed
- A torque tube brake that has two cylinders generating half of the machine’s overall tonnage, eliminating distortion with off-center loading or full-length bends
- Punching applications in one area or at different locations across the bed, employing a counterbalance valve that allows the least shock to the hydraulic system
- Varying amounts of tonnage when your job requires one or multiple die setups
- Fast ram speeds for efficient short piece work, ideal for price-conscious smaller facilities that do piece work up to three shifts a day
- Best press brake warranty in the industry
See here for detailed information about Standard Industrial Press Brakes.